Pages

Sunday 25 March 2012

Shoulder bag

Sorry for the lack of posts.  Teaching has rather got in the way of sewing this week.  However, I have lined up some posts to appear this week, and at the end of the week we start our Easter holidays - I am hoping lots of sewing will take place during the two weeks of no school!
This weekend I have done some sewing, despite the gorgeous weather we have had.  Stocks of denim had run very low, but I have had several donations this week, so more bags could be cut out.  One pair of jeans (and some curtain offcuts) yielded two of these bags:

The pattern for this came from a wonderful book I received this week:
I'm inspired by so many of the pattterns in this book, but this was my first choice.  I did make some adaptations to the pattern.  As these are recycled bags, I didn't want to use the hardware suggested in the book (swivel hooks, with which the handles are attached).  I also missed out the internal pocket.  One of my versions has a back pocket on the back panel, which I am quite pleased with.  I will be making more of these I think - they sewed up very quickly. The only difficulty I had was that my sewing machine was not too happy with the multiple layers of denim as I attached the lining to the main bag.  I managed to break two needles making the two bags.  Not so good.  The denim I was working with was very thick, which probably accounts for the problems.
Kay's blog can be found here.

I am sharing this post on the following link parties:
Nifty Thrifty Things
Craft schooling Sunday
Sew darn crafty

3 comments:

  1. Love the shape of this bag and the strap which can be worn long on the shoulder or over the body!!! I have a few bags in this shape. Do you use needles specifically for denim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Pan. Yes, I use denim needles. I just seemed to get through them at a ridiculous rate yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete