Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Large pocket bag

Last night I pieced the outside and straps for four of these bags, but only managed to line and finish one of them.
These are made from eight pockets, each in an 8" square, and three gusset pieces, each 4" x 15.5".  The lining is 15.5" square and the three lining gusset pieces are each 15.5" x 4".  I made my straps from strips 4" wide.
Join the pockets in pairs, then join each pair to make a block of four pockets.  To one piece add gussets to the sides and base.  Join these gusset pieces to the other block, and then sew the open 4" edges of the gussets at the base.  Make the lining in a similar way, leaving one bottom edge open for about 6" to turn the bag.  Pin the handles in place. Sew the lining to the bag, right sides together and turn through the gap.  Sew up the gap after turning and top stitch the top of the bag.  I added a covered cardboard base inside my bag to give it more of a defined shape.


A useful sized bag, with plenty of strength, and plenty of pockets for shopping lists, children's toys, and all the bits and pieces we end up carrying around.  I think I would dedicate one to receipts - which would clear up my handbag no end!

I'll be sharing this project at the link parties below.



TA Da TuesdayToo Cute TuesdayTutorial Tuesday
Creative Itch


Sew Cute TuesdayNifty Thrifty TuesdayLadybug Blessings

3 comments:

  1. That is so cute. I use to take the bottoms of my belly bottoms (70's) and cut them off, sew the bottoms and put on a cord like handle and I was set....Love this.
    http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute! Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love it if you would share this post on the Waste no Want Not Wednesday @ Pretty Shabby UK! I really think my readers will enjoy it!

    http://prettyshabbyuk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/waste-not-want-not-wednesday-3.html


    Many Thanks

    Dawn @ Pretty Shabby Uk

    ReplyDelete