Pages

Sunday 17 June 2012

Shopping totes


Just finished these yesterday and I'm pleased with how they came out.  They were very simple to make.  Sizes varied, but the basic construction was the same: two strips of the contrast fabric (these determined the size as all were made from curtain fabric samples), two strips of denim for the top, and two slightly wider strips of denim for the bottom. I cut strips of denim 4" wide for the handles.  The strips were sewn together, and then I boxed the corners by cutting out a 2" square from each bottom corner, pressing open and sewing across the diagonal.  I measured each bag to cut and then make the lining, leaving a gap for turning in the bottom seam.
The handles were made by pressing each strip in half lengthwise and then pressing the sides to the middle, then top stitching both sides. Denim makes great handles as it is so strong.
After that I pinned the handles in place and then the lining and sewed all round the top, turned, sewed up the turning gap and top stitched round the top of the bag.






I'll be sharing this post at the following lovely link parties:







sew many ways




Sew Darn CraftySunday FundayWhat I wore Sunday
I Heart Nap Time




Craft school SundaySundae ScoopCreative Bloggers

4 comments:

  1. Really cute! I am in the process of making myself some shopping bags out of denim. Found you via Sunday Funday and am following you via GFC now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shape and style for shopping bags!!! The first two are my favourites...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bags look awesome! I especially like the last one you showed. If you're looking for a new place to share your creations and get the word out about your amazing cause, I'd really love for you to join us over at Etcetorize. Party starts later tonight, hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the project fits the scrap - that's the perfect way to be able to use up pretty bits and pieces! The bags are gorgeous - my favourite one is the last one :D I make my boxy bottoms the same way - cutting out the square - I find it way easier (and more accurate!) than trying to pinch a triangle of fabric!

    ReplyDelete